Enoteca La Fortezza is located right inside the ancient fortress of Montalcino, a place rich in history that was the symbol of the last glorious defense of the Sienese Republic in 1555 against the Florentine Hispanic troops.
Its history began in 1361 when it began its construction to fortify the city and its fortress rose to warn of the then overwhelming power of Siena. Its construction, however, offered the citizens of Montalcino the opportunity to dispose of the Sienese citizenship, which led them to forge important political, economic and administrative relations with the city of Siena.
The history of the Fortress is followed in the centuries that have seen various interventions of enlargement before, of reparation then, up to 1600 epoch in which the Fortress definitively lost its military function. Since then it has been destined to different activities to meet the needs of the city, hosting over time a religious community of Benedictines.
Today, after the important restoration wanted by Giovanni Colombini in the 40s, it carries out an important cultural tourism function hosting events and events as well as offering tourists a vertiginous and marvelous view of the Val d'Orcia.